BrahmanbariaThis is a featured page

BrahmanbariaBrahmanbaria District (Chittagong division) with an area of 1927.11 sq km, is bounded by kishoreganj and habiganj district on the north, comilla district on the south, Hobiganj district and Tripura State of India on the east and meghna river, Kishoreganj, narsingdi and narayanganj districts on the west. The district is a lowlying land having small hills and hillocks of red soil. Annual highest average temperature 34.3°C and lowest 12.7°C; Annual total rain fall is 2551 mm. Main rivers are Meghna and titas, Buri and Haora; Mehedi and Akashi haors are notable.

Brahmanbaria (Town) consists of 12 wards and 46 mahallas. The area of the town is 30.82 sq km. It has a population of 131334; male 51.34%, female 48.66%. Literacy rate among the town people is 52.3%. Brahmanbaria town began to grow from the nineteenth century. The town was turned into a municipality in 1869. The tomb of Hazrat Syed Kazi Mahmud Shah (R) is located at Kazipara of the town. During the invasion of Munipur by the British in 1824. Brahmanbaria town was their military headquarters. The main business centres of the town are Ananda Bazar and Tanbazar. Other notable areas of the town are Jagatbazar, Mahabedab Patti, Kalaishreepara, Madhyapara, Kazipara and Kandhipara.

Brahmanbaria_District

Brahmanbaria town has a rich tradition of the cultivation of art, education and culture. It is often figuralily called the cultural capital of Bangladesh. To the field of literature the contributions of Adyta Mallavarman, Jotirindra Nandi, Abdul Kadir and Al Mahmud are remarkable. The Town also represents a rich tradition of the cultivation of music. Ustad Ayet Ali Khan established the Alauddin Music College in 1957 and Shilpacharya Joinul Abedin established the Alauddin Sangitayan in 1975. Those who contributed to the development of music in Brahmanbaria town mention may be made of Ustad Fakir (Tapas) Aftab Uddin Khan, Ustad Alauddin Khan, Ustad Ayet Ali Khan, Ustad Ali Akbor Khan, Ustad Bahadur Hussain Khan, Ustad Abed Hussain Khan, Ustad Khadem Hussain Khan, Ustad Raja Hussain Khan, Amar Paul, Ustad Khurshid Khan, Ustad Subal Das and Ustad Afjalur Rahman.

Administration Brahmanbaria district, which was included in Comilla district (formerly Tipera district) was established in 1984. Before 1830 the Sarail Pargana was a part of Mymensingh district. The district has 4 municipalities, 39 wards, 97 mahallas, 7 upazilas, one thana, 98 union parishads, 1052 mouzas and 1329 villages. The upazilas are banchharampur, kasba, nabinagar, nasirnagar, brahmanbaria sadar and akhaura.


BANGLADESH
BANGLADESH
Latest page update: made by BANGLADESH , Jul 6 2008, 7:17 PM EDT (about this update About This Update BANGLADESH Edited by BANGLADESH

4 words added
2 words deleted

view changes

- complete history)
Keyword tags: Brahmanbaria
More Info: links to this page

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)


There are no threads for this page.  Be the first to start a new thread.

Related Content

  (what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)