ChandpurThis is a featured page

Chandpur District (Chittagong division) with an area of 1704.06 sq km, is bounded by munshiganj and comilla districts on the north, noakhali, lakshmipur and barisal districts on the south, Comilla district on the east, meghna river, shariatpur and Munshiganj districts on the west. River erosion is a common feature in this district. The Padma and the Meghna meet near Chandpur Town and take a vast expanse. Main tributaries of the Meghna are Dakatia, Dhanagada, Matlab and Udhamdi. Ghorgaon Jala is a beel. Annual average temperature-maximum 34.3°C, minimum 12.7°C; annual average rainfall 2551 mm.

Chandpur (Town) a municipal town, stands on the bank of the Meghna. Its area is 7.77 sq km. It consists of 15 wards and 75 mahallas. The town has a population of 94821; male 50.77%, female 49.23%. Literacy rate among the town people is 56.4%. Chandpur Municipality was established in 1897. In the map of Greater Bengal by James Renel Chandpur has been exactly indicated along with Tripura. JN Sengupta thinks that Chandpur was named after zamindar Chand Ray of Bikrampur. Some people think that it was named after darvish Chand Fakir of village Koralia adjacent to the town. Again, some people think that it was named after Chand Sawdagar of the maimansingha gitika who used to come to this port for trade with his Swapta Dinga "Madhukar". During the first part of the twentieth century some European and Indian business firms established several jute mills here. But with the partition of Indian sub continent in 1947 most of these business establishments were closed down. This port was an important centre for jute and grain trades. Besides, many other trades on ship building, salt refinery, fishing net making and oil production are present in this port. However, some parts of the town have submerged into riverbed due to erosion and the Puran (old) Bazar is now under threat of river erosion. Since 1973 Tk 35 crores have been spent to build town protection dam with blocks.

Chandpur_District

Administration Chandpur sub-division was established in 1878 and was included in Tripura district. It was turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 6 municipalities, 60 wards, 195 mahallas, 7 upazilas, 1 thana, 87 union parishads and 1226 villages. The municipalities are Chandpur Sadar, Shahrasti, Matlab, Chengerchar, Hajiganj and Kachua and the upazilas are chandpur sadar, hajiganj, kachua, faridganj, matlab, haimchar and shahrasti.


BANGLADESH
BANGLADESH
Latest page update: made by BANGLADESH , Nov 25 2008, 8:17 PM EST (about this update About This Update BANGLADESH Edited by BANGLADESH

No content added or deleted.

- complete history)
Keyword tags: Chandpur
More Info: links to this page

Anonymous  (Get credit for your thread)


There are no threads for this page.  Be the first to start a new thread.

Related Content

  (what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)